Friday, March 30, 2012

End of life planning


We recently had a class on the new MOLST form, or Medical Orders for Life Sustaining Treatment, which is replacing the old DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) form.

It's better, since it applies to all healthcare providers, when the old one was specific to EMS, so hospitals, nursing homes and so on often had their own internal forms, which we couldn't legally honor, so a bunch of people who really didn't want a closed casket got shocked and intubated and had their ribs broken. Plus, it's more customizable, so you can indicate what treatment you do want. Like, "please do CPR, but don't keep me on a feeding tube."  


This got me thinking, and a few pints later and I have developed a brilliant theory on how to make your wishes known on withholding life support, without worrying that the kids will off you for a hangover.

I've seen enough lousy quality of life in the nursing homes I've been to on the ambulance to have decided how I want to be treated, should I ever wind up in one.

Every morning the nurse is to ask me "Sir, we're going to shoot you in the head today. Is that ok with you?"

If I am able to answer in an intelligible fashion (or at least shake my head vigorously) they are to treat me as usual.

If I am unable (or unwilling) to respond, or can only go "Pppppppppppppllllllllllbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
bbbbbbb!!!!!!!!!!!!" or say something like "How do you like my dress, Mrs Haversham?" they are to bust a cap in me like I was Ol' Yeller.

1 comment: