Sunday, March 18, 2012

40 Hours? I though you said you work full time.


When I was growing up, my dad worked one full time job.  He had one degree. We had a three bedroom ranch house, two cars, and went on vacations. We lived pretty well. My mom didn’t work until all three kids were in school.  We all had extra activities like art lessons, riding lessons karate, dance, whatever.

I am pretty much right at the median household income in America.  I work 64 hours in an average week. And not at a minimum wage, unskilled job, but as a paramedic and an orthopaedic technologist.  I have two degrees.  We live in a two bedroom ranch house in the same town I grew up in. We drive a ten year old car and a thirteen year old car. We have one child who has activities.

Everyone I work with on the ambulance has a second job. A mere 48 hours at a skilled, demanding, professional job requiring multiple licenses, continuing education and constant recertification doesn’t put us at a median household income.

When attempting to quantify the progress the middle class has made in the last thirty years, the best value I can think of is “fuck all.”

1 comment:

  1. My dad provided a middle class life with a high school degree. He worked the occasional part time job, but that paid for the camp on the lake and the hunting camp. Mom didn't work until I was grown up and out of the house.

    My income is definitely well below the median right now. The only reason I live so well is that I don't waste too many hours getting it. My time can go to other things that save me money.

    ReplyDelete